According to ABC 7, a 14 year old Jefferson County resident had his cannabis medicine confiscated by his school since it broke federal law. Jack Splitt uses cannabis medicine in the form of oil to treat severe cerebral palsy and dystonia. He is accompanied by a nurse at school everyday given the severity of his condition.
But, on Monday school officials took Jack’s cannabis medicine citing federal laws that prohibit marijuana use. “It scares me to death that medicine can be taken away from him, medicine that saves his life,” Jack’s Mom Stacey said. Without his medicine Jack can’t breathe or walk and succumbs to intense violent muscle spasms.
There is no indication if the Splitt’s will challenge the school about his inability to carry his cannabis medicine on his person. Perhaps Jack will find a different school that is more understanding. Maybe he’ll do like half the other school kids in the country and take his medicine behind the bleachers out of sight from his teachers.
Some may find it strange that a state that recently legalized recreational marijuana and medicinal marijuana years ago would be so strict with a clearly disabled kid who benefits from edible marijuana. But, Colorado is a very conservative State that didn’t pass legalization overwhelmingly. There are many conservative religious folk in Colorado who oppose the law and believe it could hurt the State’s reputation.
We scratch our heads whenever an event like this happens because the medicine Jack was using didn’t even have enough THC to get him high. Often its not the THC part of the plant that helps with seizures and other ailments. According to Jack’s Mom Stacey “Even if my 9-year-old drank a whole bottle of (Jack’s) CBD, his cannabis oil, he wouldn’t get high.”
We can’t imagine this ignorance on the part of the school could last very long…..
If you’re a fan of all things edible and live in Colorado you better start stocking up on those candies, brownies, tootsie rolls, whatever edible you fancy. That’s because the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment is basically looking to ban all edibles in Colorado.
The agency cites data that indicates that potent edibles are increasingly getting into the hands of children. Since legalization 9 children have been admitted to the emergency room after mistakenly eating pot edibles.
Honestly, it’s hard to argue with the argument. Edibles are great, especially for medical users, but selling them as gummy bears or brownies makes it too easy for children to mistake them for sweets. Maybe the best way to ingest edibles is by pill or something kids do not crave.
Colorado police are worried those adorable sour gummy bear edibles will be given to kids on Halloween – either accidentally or intentionally. With parents hiding bags of gummies and sucking candies in their cupboards it makes sense to us that there should be some extra precautions.
Here’s to hoping Colorado residents will be extra careful and no “pranksters” show up. It doesn’t help legalization proponents when kids start accidentally eating edibles. And, more importantly, how would you like to see your kid accidentally eat a cheebah chew?
A friend in Denver mentioned he couldn’t find Cheebah Chews anymore in Denver except in medical dispensaries. The theory was that they were too strong (more below), but it turns out there were multiple license violations and the producers have been banned from the industry for a year.
We’ve heard they were seriously potent so it wouldn’t have surprised us if they were limited to only medical dispensaries. We’ve seen lifelong pot smokers eating a Cheebah Chew and not being able to speak for hours. Of course, who’s to say that’s not just as valid a recreational use as a mild flower.
In the end its moot as they will likely be back in a year. See you then Cheebah Chews!